September 15, 2016 (Arlington, Va.) – The American Composites Manufacturers Association (ACMA) is proud to announce the finalists for the Awards for Composites Excellence (ACE), sponsored by Composites One. ACE is a prestigious composites industry competition that recognizes outstanding achievement and innovation in technology, manufacturing and product development. On Tuesday, September 27 at 2 p.m., during the third annual CAMX – The Composites and Advanced Materials Expo, in the ACE Pavilion (booth B106 of the Exhibit Hall), ACMA and Composites One will announce the winning entries. All 16 finalists will have their product entries on display in the ACE Pavilion for the length of CAMX.
“Composites One is committed to sponsoring ACE, and has for nearly 20 years, because we believe in innovation and the future growth of our industry,” said Marcy Offner, Director of Marketing Communications for Composites One. “Composites manufacturers are true entrepreneurs who understand how our products can be used to build new and exciting things, often replacing more traditional materials. Every year we look forward to seeing how they envision new uses of composites and advanced materials to make better more innovative products.”
In the design category, the Most Creative Application Award is given to the composites product that showcases composites use in a unique, new application. This year, the finalists are:
- Customizable Thermoplastic Sandwich Core
- T Plates Global, LLC.
- High Performance, Heavily Contoured Composite Skateboard
- Loaded Boards, Inc.
- Pultruded FRP Replaces Aluminum for the Silver Flow
- Undulating Gills
- University of California, Los Angeles
In the manufacturing category, the Equipment and Tooling Innovation Award is given to the equipment, tooling, production aid, or software that is designed to improve manufacturing production, environmental sustainability or product quality and performance in composites manufacturing. This year, the finalists are:
- Industrial-IoT Technologies Leveraged to Create Digital Thread & Digital Twin
- Plataine Technologies
- Innovative Robotic Preform Cell Providing 3D Stacking and Control
- Composite Alliance Corp.
- Rapid OOA Process for Reduced Cycle Times
- Vistex Composites
The manufacturing category also features the Materials and Process Innovation Award, which recognizes a material or process that best contributes to efficient manufacturing and product sustainability. This year, the finalists are:
- 3D Printing of High Temperature Thermoplastic Molds
- Oak Ridge National Lab (ORNL)
- Continuous Fiber Composites Smart Manufacturing
- +LAB – “Politecnico di Milano”
- Development of Cocured Integral Wing Interspar Box using VERITy Process
- Advanced Composites Division, NAL
- Thermoplastic Resistive Welding Fabric
- T Plates Global, LLC.
In the market growth category, the Infinite Possibility Award is given to the composites product that demonstrates the potential to significantly increase the use of composites in existing markets or generate the greatest impact to open new and emerging markets for composites. This year’s finalists are:
- 2017 Honda Ridgeline Weatherable SMC Truck Bed
- Ashland Performance Materials
- Compression Molded Composite Telecommunication Vault Cover
- PRC Composites
- Fire-resistant Fiberglass Reinforced Polymer (FRP) Facade Cladding System
- Kreysler & Associates
- Hybrid Natural Fiber Polymer Composites (H-NFPC) for Engineered Products/Systems
- AGRO-BIOGENICS (CLEAN-TECH) Pvt Ltd
For more information, visit https://www.thecamx.org/awards-competitions/.